Possible Side Effects Of Duloxetine
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects known to be associated with duloxetine. Just because a side effect is stated here doesn’t mean that all people taking duloxetine or Cymbalta capsules will experience that or any side effect.
- Increased tendency to bruise or bleed, eg nosebleeds, heavy periods, bleeding in the gut.
- Increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight .
- Liver problems such as inflammation of the liver .
- High blood cholesterol level.
- Mania, hallucinations, anger or aggression.
- Raised pressure in the eyeball . See a doctor straight away if you get symptoms of this, which include a painful red eye, blurred vision, sudden severe headache and seeing haloes around lights.
- Underactive thyroid gland.
- Low level of sodium in the blood. This can cause symptoms such as drowsiness, confusion, muscle twitching or convulsions. Elderly people may be particularly susceptible to this effect. Consult your doctor if you develop any of these symptoms while taking duloxetine, so that your blood sodium level can be checked if necessary.
- Serotonin syndrome . See a doctor straight away if you get these symptoms.
You should read the patient information leaflet that is supplied with your medication for more information about side effects associated with duloxetine. You can find a copy of this here
Anxiety Medication Overview Of Cymbalta
Although best known for treating major depressive disorder, Cymbalta is also a proven and effective treatment for generalized anxiety disorder. In fact, Cymbalta has been shown to positively affect many of the core and peripheral symptoms of generalized anxiety, as well as some of the physical manifestations of the disease.
Characterized by exaggerated worry or chronic anxiety, generalized anxiety disorder is one of the most frequently diagnosed mental disorders in the country, at a rate of nearly four million new cases each year in the US alone. In addition to behavioral symptoms like procrastination or the inability to concentrate, the disease can cause physical pain, nausea, and muscle fatigue. By definition, these symptoms last longer than six months and may increase or decrease in severity over time.
Cymbalta operates by interfering with the metabolism of serotonin and norepinephrine, two neurotransmitters which mediate not only the psychological symptoms of anxiety but the chemical reactions which underpin the perception of pain. The exact means by which the drug effects emotional change remains unclear, but it is commonly believed that Cymbalta’s ability to trigger the heightened activity of these and other neurotransmitters is responsible for the improvement in mood.
Should I Expect To Have Restless Legs If I Take Cymbalta
But some people did report feeling agitated or restless. In some cases, this included physical restlessness, which could involve restless legs.
We encourage you to talk with your doctor if you experience restlessness, including restless legs, while taking Cymbalta. They may suggest ways to treat this side effect, such as lowering your Cymbalta dose. Or they may recommend that you stop taking Cymbalta and try a different medication for your condition.
Stopping Cymbalta treatment can cause withdrawal. Suddenly stopping Cymbalta use may increase your risk for discontinuation syndrome, which can cause withdrawal symptoms.
Withdrawal symptoms from suddenly stopping Cymbalta treatment can include:
You may wonder how long Cymbalta withdrawal may last. The effects usually go away on their own, but some can be severe.
Due to the risk of withdrawal, its very important that you dont suddenly stop taking Cymbalta. Instead, your medical professional will wean you off the drug. Theyll lower your dosage slowly over time. This is called a drug taper.
There isnt a single recommend drug taper for Cymbalta. Your medical professional can help plan a drug taper specific to you and your dosage.
Recommended Reading: What Is Phobia Mean
See Full List On Verywellmindcom
The information provided here is meant to be an overview of the use of cymbalta for panic disorder. How does cymbalta affect depression? How long does it take for cymbalta to take effect? Text with your therapist · 100% private environment Be sure to consult your doctor if you experience side effects that don’t seem to go away or if they become worse. It may take up to 4 weeks for pantoprazole to work properly so you may still have some symptoms during this time. Nutreance.com has been visited by 10k+ users in the past month However, it can take up to several months to fully experience the benefits of cymbalta. Both of these chemical messengers are connected to panic disorder. Don’t expect cymbalta to immediately impact your symptoms of panic disorder. They’re also sometimes used to treat hot flashes that occur in menopause and certain types of urinary incontinence.1 for these reasons, snris have continued to grow in popularity for the treatment of mood and anx. Within one to two weeks, you can feel your sleep, energy or appetite improving. It is thought that imbalances in some of these neurotransmitters can lead to mood and anxiety disorders.
Chat counseling, text counseling, email counseling Although best known for treating major depressive disorder, cymbalta .
Suicidal Thoughts And Actions
In 2007, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration decided to include a warning on SNRIs and other antidepressants. Known as a black box warning, the FDA cautions that these medications can potentially increase the risk for suicidal thoughts and actions.
Children, teens, and young adults were found to be especially at risk for this. Your doctor should use caution and closely monitor you if you’re taking SNRIs for a decline in your mood and/or suicidal thoughts, especially if you’re in this at-risk age group.
If you are having suicidal thoughts, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 for support and assistance from a trained counselor. If you or a loved one are in immediate danger, call 911.
For more mental health resources, see our National Helpline Database.
Don’t Miss: Effexor Vs Pristiq For Anxiety
How Long Does It Take For Cymbalta To Work
The world of mental health medications is a vast one. From SSRIs to stimulants and everything in-between, finding a drug that works well with your body and actually treats your condition can feel like a huge feat.
Cymbalta® is just one of these medications. And whether youre considering taking Cymbalta or youve already started taking it, youre probably wondering: when does this stuff start working?
Cymbalta can take six to eight weeks to start working fully, but it depends on a variety of factors.
In this piece, were going to cover what to expect when you start using Cymbalta® to treat your mental health, and how long you can expect it to take to work.
How Long Do Side Effects From Cymbalta Last
How long side effects from Cymbalta last can vary depending on the side effect.
Also, your risk for certain side effects may be higher when you first start taking the drug. For example:
- Your risk for suicidal thoughts or behaviors may be highest in your first few months of taking Cymbalta or after your dose is changed. However, this can occur at any time while taking Cymbalta.
- Your risk for orthostatic hypotension may be highest in your first week of taking Cymbalta.
Some side effects may go away once the drug is stopped. However, other side effects, like liver failure, may not go away if you stop the drug.
If you have questions about your risk for side effects with Cymbalta, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
Don’t Miss: Depression Aquarius Facts
Cymbalta For Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
Cymbalta is FDA-approved to treat chronic musculoskeletal pain. This refers to pain in the bones, muscles, ligaments, nerves, and tendons. Chronic pain is pain that lasts for more than 3 to 6 months.
It isnt known how Cymbalta works to treat chronic musculoskeletal pain.
Effectiveness for chronic musculoskeletal pain
In one study, adults with chronic low back pain took either Cymbalta or a placebo every day for 13 weeks. Before the study, people rated their pain on a scale of 0 to 10 . The researchers had people rate their pain again at the end of the study.
The results showed that:
- nearly 45% of people who took Cymbalta had at least a 30% reduction in their pain score
- about 30% of people who took a placebo had at least a 30% reduction in their pain score
Cymbalta And Birth Control
Cymbalta may cause harm to a fetus. However, more research is needed in this area. If youre sexually active and you or your partner can become pregnant, talk with your doctor about your birth control needs while youre using Cymbalta.
For more information about taking Cymbalta during pregnancy, see the Cymbalta and pregnancy section above.
Also Check: High Blood Sugar And Irrational Behavior
Cymbalta Dosage For Children
Cymbalta is FDA approved to treat generalized anxiety disorder in children ages 7 years and older and to treat fibromyalgia in children ages 13 years and older. However, healthcare providers may sometimes prescribe Cymbalta off-label in children as young as 7 years of age to treat major depressive disorder.
|Cymbalta pediatric dosage chart by age|
|30 mg taken once per day||60 mg taken once per day||60 mg per day|
Cymbalta Dosage For Fibromyalgia
In addition to treating psychiatric disorders, Cymbalta is a highly effective medication for controlling pain. It is commonly prescribed to manage the symptoms of fibromyalgia, a chronic condition marked by muscle pain, fatigue, and difficulty sleeping. Although fibromyalgia has a range of symptoms, healthcare providers consider it to be primarily a pain syndrome involving disordered pain processing by the nervous system. Healthcare providers do not understand exactly how duloxetine helps manage fibromyalgia pain, but it is one of only three pain medications approved by the FDA to treat the condition. For fibromyalgia as well as other pain conditions, it may take a few weeks for duloxetine to improve pain symptoms.
Standard adult dosage for fibromyalgia: 60 mg taken once per day
Maximum adult dosage for fibromyalgia: 60 mg per day
Read Also: 4 Phases Of Schizophrenia
Is Weight Gain Or Weight Loss A Side Effect Of Cymbalta
Both adults and children reported decreased appetite while taking Cymbalta in the clinical trials. Decreased appetite can lead to weight loss.
While your childs condition is treated with Cymbalta, their medical professional will monitor their weight. This helps ensure that it stays in a moderate range for their age.
If you have concerns about your weight while taking Cymbalta, we suggest that you talk with your medical professional. They may be able to recommend ways to manage your weight.
How Much Will I Take
For depression, anxiety and nerve pain, duloxetine comes in 30mg and 60mg capsules.
For stress urinary incontinence, duloxetine comes in 20mg and 40mg capsules.
How much you take will depend on what you’re taking it for:
- depression – the starting dose is 60mg a day and can be increased to 120mg a day
- anxiety – the starting dose is 30mg a day and can be increased to 60mg a day
- nerve pain – the starting dose is 60mg a day and can be increased to 60mg twice a day
- stress urinary incontinence – the starting dose is 20mg twice a day and can be increased to 40mg twice a day after 2 weeks
Read Also: Definition Of Phobia In Psychology
Who Should Not Take Cymbalta
You should not take Cymbalta if you:
- Are taking a medication called thioridazine
- Are taking a medicine called MAOI or have used one in the last 14 days
- Have uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma
In animal studies Cymbalta has demonstrated adverse effects on a developing fetus. No adequate or well-controlled studies of the drug have been performed in pregnant or breastfeeding women. Women who are breastfeeding, pregnant, or planning to become pregnant should talk to their doctor about whether or not Cymbalta is right for them. You should only take Cymbalta if the benefits outweigh the risks.
Can Doctors Prescribe Antidepressants To Under 18s
Of all the antidepressants, only fluoxetine has been FDA approved to treat pediatric depression. For obsessive compulsive disorder in children and teenagers, FDA has approved only fluoxetine , sertraline , fluvoxamine, and clomipramine .
Likewise, what percentage of teenagers are on antidepressants? Antidepressant use increases with age. These medications are used by 16.6 percent of people ages 40 to 59, 7.8 percent of those ages 20 to 39, and 3.4 percent of adolescents ages 12 to 19.
In this regard, can teenagers go on antidepressants?
Antidepressants for children and teens. Antidepressant drugs are often an effective way to treat depression and anxiety in children and teenagers. However, antidepressant use in children and teens must be monitored carefully, as rarely there can be severe side effects.
Which antidepressants are approved for children?
Four of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors have FDA-approved indications in pediatric patients: escitalopram, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, and sertraline. Two of the tricyclic antidepressants have FDA-approved indications in pediatric patients: clomipramine and imipramine.
39 Related Question Answers Found
Don’t Miss: Panic Attack And Fainting
What Drugs And Food Should I Avoid While Taking Cymbalta
Avoid driving or hazardous activity until you know how this medicine will affect you. Dizziness or drowsiness can cause falls, accidents, or severe injuries.
Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy.
Drinking alcohol may increase your risk of liver damage, especially if you take Drizalma.
You Should Only Take Duloxetine As Agreed With Your Doctor
You will get the best effect from duloxetine if you take it regularly at the dose prescribed by your doctor.
Make sure that you know your dose. If it is not written on the label, check with your pharmacist or doctor.
People usually take duloxetine once a day at the same time. This could be a mealtime, or when you brush your teeth.
If you are taking duloxetine for depression, you are likely to start taking it at the standard treatment dose. If you are taking it for anxiety, you may be started on a lower dose, which gets increased gradually.
You can take duloxetine before or after food. Swallow the capsule with a drink of water – if you chew it, it tastes bitter.
Read Also: Phobic Meaning
What If I Forget To Take It
If you usually take duloxetine:
- once a day – take the missed dose as soon as you remember, unless it’s less than 12 hours until your next dose, in which case skip the missed dose
- twice a day – take the missed dose as soon as you remember, unless it’s less than 4 hours until your next dose, in which case skip the missed dose
Never take 2 doses at the same time to make up for a forgotten one.
If you forget doses often, it may help to set an alarm to remind you.
You could also ask your pharmacist for advice on other ways to help you remember to take your medicine.
Cymbalta For Diabetic Nerve Pain
Cymbalta is FDA-approved to treat pain from diabetic neuropathy .
Diabetic neuropathy is a common condition in people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. People with diabetes have high levels of glucose in their blood. Over time, having increased glucose levels can cause nerve damage. Symptoms of diabetic neuropathy include numbness, pain, tingling, or weakness in your hands or feet.
It isnt exactly known how Cymbalta works to treat diabetic nerve pain.
Effectiveness for diabetic nerve pain
Clinical studies have shown Cymbalta to be effective for treating pain from diabetic neuropathy.
Researchers in one study randomly assigned adults with diabetic nerve pain to take either Cymbalta or a placebo every day for 12 weeks. Before the study, researchers measured peoples pain on a scale of 0 to 10 . They assessed pain again after the study to compare how Cymbalta and a placebo affected pain.
At the end of the study:
- 60% of people who took Cymbalta had at least a 30% reduction in their pain score
- 40% of people who took a placebo had at least a 30% reduction in their pain score
Recommended Reading: What Is The Fear Of Vomiting Called
How To Cope With Cymbalta Withdrawal
If you have already started to taper off of Cymbalta or are planning to do so in the future, here are some suggestions for how to wean off Cymbalta successfully:
- Stick to your prescribed tapering plan. Following the plan outlined by your doctor can help reduce the likelihood of severe withdrawal symptoms. If your symptoms are too uncomfortable to handle, your taper can always be adjusted.
- Treat the side effects. Headache, nausea, body aches, and other symptoms can usually be eased with over-the-counter medications. Make sure to ask your doctor before taking new medications, just to make sure there are no interactions.
- Lean on your support system. Friends, family, and professionals are important for providing support during the tapering process. Make sure that youre being open about your feelings, especially if youre struggling with anxious or depressed thoughts.
- Consider trying integrative remedies. Herbal remedies, especially those that have been heavily researched, may help ease the severity of side effects during withdrawal. Always check with your doctor first when trying integrative or herbal medicines.
- Practice lots of self-care. Self-care is a huge part of the recovery and management of both mental health and chronic pain conditions. No matter what your reason for stopping Cymbalta, make sure to give yourself some extra care during the process.